Dave Kellett is the guest on my latest installment of the podcast-within-the-podcast, “What’s Your Latest?” I talk to experienced creators about their latest project. For Dave, that’s the second volume (“Act Two”) of his Drive webcomics series that will ultimately span 1,000 pages and four or five print volumes.
Dave is a cartoonist, podcaster, and co-director of the comics documentary Stripped. His strip Drive is almost a decade old, and Sheldon is at its 20th birthday. He also runs multiple Patreons, co-hosts ComicLab (a podcast on making comics and the business of comics), and has run lots of crowdfunding campaigns and produced piles of physical goods.
The New Disruptors is back on the air due to patrons and sponsors! You can become a patron of the show on a one-time or recurring basis, and get rewards like an exclusive enamel pin and being thanked in this fashion!
- Read the Drive and Sheldon webcomics
- Do you like pugs?
- The Stripped movie about the history (and future?) of comic strips is fantastic, and you can buy it for as little as $5 directly from Dave and his co-director, plus a lot of other options. You can also watch it on Kanopy if your library offers that service.
- My favorite practical podcast, ComicLab, has a Patreon to offer support and get extras
- Friend Dan Moren’s Caledonian Gambit also has empires that span solar systems with a little James Bond and a little sass
- Dave has as upcoming guest artists on Drive the two-person team Gurihiru