In this inaugural episode #100, the return of the podcast to regular production, I’m pleased as punch to have C. Spike Trotman as my guest. Spike founded Iron Circus Comics in 2007, and it’s risen through her hard work and excellent curatorship to become the Chicago area’s leading comics publisher.
A cartoonist and writer herself with a long-running series, Spike has raised over a million dollars through Kickstarter across more than a dozen projects, and created a sustainable and repeatable funding method. (You can read her book on Kickstarting comics for advice!) For her success, she was named one of Kickstarter’s Thought Leaders.
Support the podcast! The crowdfunding campaign brought back The New Disruptors, but I could produce more episodes and keep the show running after July 2019 with your help! You can contribute monthly via Patreon or become a yearly subscriber directly on this site—and get nifty bonuses and rewards. Read more about supporting the podcast.
- Spike suggests you watch the movie E-Dreams (2001) about Kozmo.com. Boy, do I miss Kozmo.
- Randy Milholland, Something Positive
- Lucy Bellwood, adventure cartoonist, and our live bookstore podcast episode
- Spike’s first Kickstarter, Poorcraft
- MC Frontalot’s “Indier Than Thou”
- Girls with Slingshots by Danielle Corsetto
- Pictures of Danielle in her garage with a zillion of her books
- Consortium Book Sales & Distribution